Sign in with a Google account
Use a legacy account
This is how your name and profile photo will appear on Panoramio if you connect this Google+ account. You cannot switch to a different account later.
view on map
on Google Maps
I am retired and exploring the world on foot, by canoe and kayak. You see and experience much more this way. No luxury resorts on some tropical beach for me.
K&P / Rideau trail goes under the 401 highway. This is the original route for the Kingston and Pembrook Railway (K&P) built in 1872, later the 401 highway was built over it, and the railway closed in 1986. This tunnel was built in October 2005 when the highway was widened to 6 lanes.
Former Kingston and Pembroke railway bed now used for K&P hiking trail. The K&P Railway never got to Pembroke, it ended in Renfrew. It was incorporated in 1871 and had 180 km. of tracks by 1884. Sections were abandoned in the 1950's and the last section operated in 1986. Their main revenue was from logging, when the logs were done, so was their justification.
Old steel bridge on the Mississippi River. There is a public boat launching ramp here too. The Kingston and Pembrooke Railway passed through here about 1877. The K&P hiking trail now uses that old rail bed right here.
Abandoned railway bridge for the Kingston Pembrook Railway (K&P) . Construction began in 1872, it reached Godfrey in 1875, and began abandoning track in 1962 and completed it in 1986. They never got to Pembrook, another railway beat them from Renfrew to Pembrook, so it ends at Renfrew, despite it's name. Verona was the 5 th. stop on the 103 mile ( 165 km.) line with 24 stops.
A stone railway culvert on the K&P trail, built in 1875. Strong enough for locomotives. They used only stone in 1875, and only concrete in 1925, this may have been repaired.
The original K&P tracks went straight ahead, the trail turns right, while facing east.
This little bridge was built in 1927 by CPR who owned the K&P railway. The original bridge and tracks were built in 1875.
There is a lot of empty unused land in the city. Looking south from the K&P Trail.
View from the tunnel under the 401 highway. This tunnel was built in October 2005 after the rail use had ended and the highway was widened to 6 lanes. The trail was the K&P railway, construction began on it in 1872 and only got as far as Renfrew, another railway joined Renfrew to Pembroke. It was closed in stages starting in 1961, and finished in 1986.
The Spirit of Sir John A. Mcdonald locomotive being restored in front of City Hall at the original Kingston and Pembroke Railway (K&P) train station. The railway began here in 1872, reached Sharbot Lake in 1876, and finally Renfrew. The station here was built in 1884. The original contract for 103 miles of railway was $3 million, of which $600,000 was raised by the municipalities along the line. It went into receivership in 1893, was taken over by CPR in 1903, and fully closed in 1986.
Snow Road Presbyterian Church, established 1885. The Kingston and Pembrooke Railway had a station a few hundred meters south of here in 1888.
The Cataraqui Trail and Rideau Trail share this section of the old Kingston &Pembroke Railway built in 1876. There is parking at many of the road intersections. Early April.
This is the start of the K&P Trail built on the Kingston and Pembroke Railway bed. The K&P went from Kingston City Hall in 1875 to Godfrey, and only reached Renfrew in 1885, but it kept it's name, K&P. The tracks were purchased by the CPR in 1901, and the the last of the tracks were lifted in 1986. This part of the trail is just an access arm to the railway bed. The free public parking lot is at the west end of Dalton Avenue, easy to find.
A small break in the K&P trail, giving public access again.
A marsh between the K&P trail and the 401 highway. Looking east
Entrance to the Cataraqui trail built on the the old K&P and CN rail beds. The two railways crossed here, they ran side by side for 2 km. east of here. The large sign is about the K&P railway, it went north from Kingston in 1875. The Bay of Quinte reached Harrowsmith in 1891 from Deseronto, and to Sydenham from here in 1893. The Canadian Northern Railway (CNoR) took over the BQR and extended it from Sydenham to Ottawa in 1912. It was taken over by CNR in 1923 and was shut down in 1984.
New foot bridge for the K&P Trail across Milhaven Creek. This section of the trail was built by the City of Kingston, north to the Orser Road. This bridge replaced the original one for the Kingston and Pembrook Railway built about 1884, and abandoned in 1986.
A beautiful mural celebrating the last ride of Sir. John A. McDonald in a funeral car going to Kingston via the former K&P railway through Sharbot Lake. It also depicts their original station to the north of this spot.
Queen's City Oil Co. built this in 1909 to store keorsene in 5 gallon oil cans before bulk storage was available. It was used for oil lamps and cars. Later there were two large bulk oil tanks on this side of it, and Imperial Oil once owned it. It is along the K&P rail lines which were used to import the kerosene. The City of Kingston owns it now and doesn't know what to do with it.
This may be a gentle grade for hikers on the K&P hiking trail, but it was a lot of work for heavy locomotives 100 years ago. You can see more in the spring and fall with the leaves off the trees.
The foundation for this bridge was built in 1929 by CPR who owned the K&P railway at the time. The deck is new. It replaced the original bridge built 54 years earlier (1875). Try to picture a really old steam engine spewing lots of black smoke and white steam, chugging along here at a top speed of 60 kph.
A spacious public parking lot gives public access to the K&P Trail on Sydenham Road. The trail is suitable for walking, cycling, wagons, wheel chairs, or tricycles.
It is easy to forget that noisy polluting steam engines once chuged along this trail over 135 years ago. Looking east.
The K&P rail bed on the left is grown over, the CN rail bed on the right is now the Cataraqui Trail. The two railways merged near Harrowsmith and shared the same station on the west side of County Road # 38. It is gone now.
Black and White
Bon Echo Provincial Park
Celtic stone fences
Charleston Lake Provincial Park
Frontenac Provincial Park
houses of interest
Inca Trail Peru
K P Hiking Trail
Little Cat Con Area
Menzel Nature Reserve
Mile stones Hwy # 2
Opinicon Lake - Rideau Trails
Prince Edward Cty.
Sheffield Con. Area.
Sir John A. McDonald
Stellar Sea Lions
Show all tags (121)
Steve Manders's groups
Terms of Service