Sign in with a Google account
Use a legacy account
This is how your name and profile photo will appear on Panoramio if you connect this Google+ account. You cannot switch to a different account later.
view on map
on Google Maps
I am retired and exploring the world on foot, by canoe and kayak. You see and experience much more this way. No luxury resorts on some tropical beach for me.
Napanee Train Station, still in use, but only 3 trains a day stop here. Built in 1856 for the Grand Trunk Railway. The railway was originally called the Toronto and Kingston Railway (T&KR) but was owned by GTR. Sir John A. McDonald would have used this station when he went to Napanee Town Hall to give his last political speach.
Bay of Quinte Railway station in Newburgh. Originally a Napanee-Tamworth and Quebec Railway (NT&QR) taken over by BoQ in 1881, the station was built in 1884, the name changed to Kingston Napanee & Western Railway (KN&WR) in 1891, then came under Bay of Quinte Railway (BoQ) in 1891. The tracks are 400 m. to the north. The steep climb to the east, rusulted in the tracks and a new station being relocated. Four other similar stations exist in Tamworth, Erinsville, Marlbank, and Stoco.
Old railway bridge from the Napanee Tamworth and Quebec Railway in 1884, later called the Bay of Quinte Railway (BoQ) This railway bridge was moved here by the farmer about 2009 from the 300 m. west of here where the Cataraqui Trail crosses county road 17.
The Bay of Quinte Railway and Navigation Co. built these stone bridge bases in 1881 for their line from Deseronto to Deseronto Junction on the Grand Trunk Railway (GT). until 1903. They had running rights on the GT to Napanee. The NT&QR and the BoQR&N became the BQR in 1891. The BQR was pruchased by CNoR in 1910. After 1903, they ran directly from Deseronto to the Napanee station. This line ran 110 m. east of the Deseronto Road, and parallel to it.
Bridge along the Cataraqui Trail. Originally the Napanee, Tamworth and Quebec Railway (NT&Q) built here in 1884, reaching Tweed in 1889 and Sydenham in 1893. It was renamed Kingston Napanee & Western Railway (KNW) in 1890, Bay of Quinte Railway in 1891, sold to Canadian Northern Railway (CNoR) in 1912, went bankrupt, and was taken over by CN in 1923. Closed in 1986.
Old culvert from BoQ railway.
Hand laid stone culvert from 1884 built by the Napanee Tamworth and Quebec Railway, later the Bay of Quinte Railway 1891, Canadian Northern Railway in 1912, Canadian National Railway in 1923, closed in 1979. Now the Cataraqui Trail.
Cataraqui Trail looking west near Camden East. This was originally the Napanee Tamworth and Quebec Railway (NT&QR) built in 1884, leased to the Bay of Quinte Railway (BQR), ran to Harrowsmith to link to the K&P railway and on to Sydenham in 1893 to access the mica mines. It was taken over by the former Canadian Northern Railway (CNoR) in 1910 and run to Ottawa in 1912 - 1914 then CNR in 1923. The tracks were removed in the early 1990's. .
Remnants of old mill at Camden East. Many burned down, some had their mortar turn to sand. There was a carriage shop (manufacturer) on this side of the river where I am standing, and a woolen mill beside the dam on the far side and a flour mill to the right of it in 1878.
West end of the Cataraqui Trial. built as the Napanee Tamworth and Quebec Railway (NT&QR), renamed the Bay of Quinte Railway (BoQ), then sold to the Canadian Northern Railway (CNoR), first opened in 1882, last operated in 1984. It takes a bit of searching behind the Strathcona Paper Mill to find it. That is a pioneer cemetary behind the car, in the fenced area. The trail goes through Yarker, Sydenham, Chaffey's Locks, and ends at Smith Falls 104 km. away.
View from the Cataraqui Trail on the Bay of Quinte Railway (BoQ) bridge built about 1884, taken over by Canadian Northern Railway (CNoR) in 1910, and shut down in by CN in 1986. Looking north. The trail is part of the 34,262 km. of trails in Ontario under OFSC.
A former dock for the Bay of Quinte Railway and Navigation Co. was built as a port for the Tamworth and Quebec Railway that started in Napanee in 1882. They amalgamated in 1883 and became the Bay of Quinte Railway. They exported lumber and cement from Marlbank that was produced by the Rathburns of Deseronto. Coal was imported from Pennsylvania to heat houses, and power trains. There are several other docks on this site from that era.
One of the remaining train whistle signals from the days of CNR. The last train ran here in 1979. The train had to sound the whistle 3 times upon entering Yarker.
Part of this culvert dates from 1884 and was built by the Napanee Tamworth and Quebec Railway. Last used in 1979. This may have been built for the passage of cattle, not water.
Cataraqui Trail intersection looking east. This section was built by the Napanee Tamworth and Quebec Railway (NT&QR) in 1884, leased to the Bay of Quinte Railway, (BQR) in 1891, (east to Yarker only) then it was sold to the Canadian Northern Railway (CNoR) in 1910, they went bankrupt, CNR took over in 1923 and gave it up in 1984.. This is part of the 34,262 km. of trails in Ontario under the OFSC.
Camden East was founded in 1818 for it's water power and was called Clarks Mills. Fires destroyed the first 3 wood frame mills here. Later a stone one burned. Poor quality mortar had also turned to sand and washed away long ago. It was called Camden East after 1866. It once had many small manufacturers.
The Cataraqui Trail crosses county road 17. There was a Bay of Quinte railway (BoQ) bridge here until about 2009, a local farmer purchased it and moved it to the creek in front of his house 300 m. east of here. The trail is part of the 34,262 km. of trails in Ontario under the OFSC.
Queen's Pub. The sign says it was established in 1869, It served as a train station for the NT&Q railway after 1880, later the BQR and finally CNoR. The Grand Trunk Railway (GTR), later CN had already built the stone station across the road in 1856. It would appear that this was a pre-existing building adopted as a station.
Former Bay of Quinte Railaway and Navigation Co., built rails and docks in 1881, it amalgamated with the Napanee Tamworth and Quebec Railway in 1883, and became the Bay of Quinte Railway. It ran just east of the Deseronto Rd. to the Grand Trunk Railway, now CN, then directly to Napanee in 1903. It ran to Napanee, Yarker, Sydenham, Tamworth and Tweed. This was an important terminal to export local lumber, and cement from Marlbank and import coal for heat and fuel. Tracks removed in 1986.
Old stone culvert built in 1884 for the Napanee Tamworth and Quebec Railway, later the Bay of Quinte Railway, Canadian Northern Railway and finally Canadian National Railway. Now the Cataraqui Trail.
Stone culvert built for the Napanee Tamworth and Quebec Railway in 1884. Now the Cataraqui Trail.
Black and White
Bon Echo Provincial Park
Celtic stone fences
Charleston Lake Provincial Park
Frontenac Provincial Park
Highway No.2 Ont.
houses of interest
Inca Trail Peru
K P Hiking Trail
Little Cat Con Area
Menzel Nature Reserve
Mile stones Hwy # 2
One room school-house
Opinicon Lake - Rideau Trails
Prince Edward Cty.
Sheffield Con. Area.
Sir John A. McDonald
Stellar Sea Lions
Show all tags (127)
Steve Manders's groups
Terms of Service