Sign in with a Google account
Use a legacy account
This is how your name and profile photo will appear on Panoramio if you connect this Google+ account. You cannot switch to a different account later.
view on map
on Google Maps
I am retired and exploring the world on foot, by canoe and kayak. You see and experience much more this way. No luxury resorts on some tropical beach for me.
Rideau canal and the Ontario and Quebec Railway bridge built in 1884, later CPR. About 600 men were employed building this railway in 1883. The pay was $1.50 per day for heavy work. Railways cost about $20,000 per mile with a $5,000 per mile provincial subsidy plus the cost of about $10,000 per mile for equipment.
TransCanada Trail at Kaladar, originally the Ontario Quebec Railway (O&Q). Looking east. This is one of 34,262 km. of trails in Ontario under OFSC. Trail E108.
Life is full of decisions on which way to go, and often there are no directions given. In this case, the hiker is going home on the old K&P trail south of Sharbot Lake, the other trail is the Ontario & Quebec rail trail, heading west to Tweed and Marmora. Some simple decisions can be very important.
The Kingston and Pembroke railway (K&P) ran north-south, and the Ontario and Quebec Railway (O&Q) ran east-west across this rail bridge across the narrows of Sharbot Lake. It was built in 1876, last had a mixed train of passengers and freight in 1960, the rail line was abandoned in 1964 to Titchborne. Now a recreational trail.
Ontario & Quebec railway bed, now part of the Trans-Canada Trail passes McGowan Lake. Highway # 7 can be seen on the left.
The Ontario and Quebec Railway (O&Q) built this railway in 1881 from Perth, Tweed, Havelock and North Toronto. It was leased to CPR for 999 years and finally taken over by CP completly. It connected to Toronto Union Station in 1893. Looking east.
Old iron rivets of the Ontario & Quebec Railway (O&Q) now OFSC trail E 108, looking down on the Belleville and North Hastings Railway (B&NH) built in 1882, OFSC trail E212, both are now recreation trails. These bridge assemblies were rivitted near by, and lifted with rented cranes for the occasional job needing them.
Intersection of the former Ontario & Quebec Railway (O&Q) built in 1881, leased to CPR for 999 years, on the left from Havelock to Kaladar, now the Trans-Canada Trail and OFSC trail E 108, and the Central Ontario Railway (COR) from Trenton to Wallace, now the Hastings Heritage Trail and OSFC trail E 106. Looking north, mid November. Station Road is on the far right.
Trans-CanadaTrail. Looking south west on the Ontario & Quebec Railway right of way. Built about 1882, leased to CPR in 1884 on a 999 year lease. Are they still paying rent?
TransCanada Trail at Kaladar, looking west. This is a multi-purpose recreational trail. It is also part of the 34,262 km. of trails in Ontario under the OFSC. Trail E108.
Highway # 38 passes over the old Ontario & Quebec Railway bed, now part of the Trans-Canada Trail. The railway operated from 1881 to 1971, most of the time under the CPR. This bridge was built in 1934/1935 for the Highway # 38 which followed township roads much of the way to connect highway # 2 with # 7 (built just north of here in 1932). This was done more to create jobs, than to handle heavy traffic in the great depression.
Trans-Canada Trail. Wooden bridge built by the Ontario & Quebec Railway. The line was begun in 1881. It was leased to CPR in 1884 for 999 years, and abandoned by CPR in 1971. The line ran from Perth, Sharbot Lake, Tweed, Peterborough and to Toronto. CPR had another rail line near by, and did not need this one. OFSC trail E108.
The Trans-Canada Trail on the Ontario & Quebec Railway (O&Q) bed crosses Old Brooke Road several times.
Approaching the intersection of the former Ontario and Quebec Railway (O&Q) now the Trans-Canada Trail and OFSC trail E 108, straight forward and over the iron bridge, and the former Belleville and North Hastings Railway (B&NH) down the steep and rough access ramp on the left. Looking west.
Former Ontario & Quebec Railway (O&Q) built in 1881 from Kaladar to Havelock, leased in 1884 to CPR for 999 years, now the Trans-Canada Trail and OFSC trail E 108. Looking west. Are they still paying rent?
Intersection of the former Ontario & Quebec Railway (O&Q) built in 1881, leased to CPR for 999 years, going on the left from Haveloc to Kaladar, now the Trans-Canada Trail and OFSC trail E 108, and the Central Ontario Railway (COR) built in 1889 on the right from Trenton to Wallace, now the Hastings Heritage Trail and OFSC trail E 106, looking south.
Old railway bridge from the Ontario Quebec Railway, now used for the Trans-Canada Trail. It has some interesting and enjoyable art work on it. The O&Q was founded in 1881, but leased the tracks to CPR in 1884 on a 999 year lease. Note the rivited iron construction.
Former Ontario & Quebec Railway line, now part of the Trans-Canada Trail. The Maberly train station was once on the left side here, obviously gone. It operated from 1881 to 1971. The line ran from Perth to Sharbot Lake, Tweed, Peterborough, and to Toronto.
Sharbot Lake was once an important rail intersection with the Kingston & Pembroke Railway ( K&P) and the Ontario & Quebec Railway (O&Q) intersecting here. The O&Q, now part of the Trans-Canada Trail goes east from here on the right, the K&P goes north on the left.
The old Ontario and Quebec Railway bed is now the Trans-Canada Trail. The railway was built in 1884 and roughly paralles highway # 7. Looking north east.
This rail line was built by the Ontario and Quebec Railway (O&Q) which began in 1881 from Perth, Tweed, Havelock and North Toronto. It was leased to CPR for 999 years and finally taken over by CP completly. It connected to Toronto Union Station in 1893. Looking NE. Toronto Junction to Havelock.
The lower trail was the Belleville and North Hastings Railway (B&NH) built in 1882, now OFSC trail E 212, also know as the Trail of Two Lakes, and the upper railway on the bridge was the Ontario & Quebec Railway (O&Q) built about 1881, now OFSC trail E 108 also known as the Trans-Canada Trail going east-west. Looking north. The lower railway probably reached here first, they took years to build.
Former Ontario & Quebec Railway (O&Q), built in 1881, leased to CPR for 999 years, in 1884, now the OFSC trail E 108 and the Trans-Canada Trail. The culvert under the trail beside the road is dated 1925. Looking north west.
Paralax. Monkland. The Ontario and Quebec Railway (O&Q) runs from Montreal to Smith Falls starting in 1881, leased to CP in 1884. It connects to the CP Lakeshore sub through Belleville to Toronto. Operated by CP Railway.
Black and White
Bon Echo Provincial Park
Celtic stone fences
Charleston Lake Provincial Park
Frontenac Provincial Park
Highway No.2 Ont.
houses of interest
Inca Trail Peru
K P Hiking Trail
Little Cat Con Area
Menzel Nature Reserve
Mile stones Hwy # 2
One room school-house
Opinicon Lake - Rideau Trails
Prince Edward Cty.
Sheffield Con. Area.
Sir John A. McDonald
Stellar Sea Lions
Show all tags (133)
Steve Manders's groups
Terms of Service