C Senarathne
24
photos
18
on Google Maps
views

C Senarathne's conversations

St.Peregrine Laziosi, Patron of People with cancer. This is a 13th century saint from Forli, a town 80 km. North East of Florence in Italy. He was a Servite Brother. He had an ulcerous wound on his left leg. It had to be amputated if his life was to be saved. It was a matter of life and death. The night before the operation Brother Peregrine dragged himself to the chapel and prayed to Jesus hanging on the cross. He had fallen asleep there and had dreamt that Jesus had touched his wound and in the morning his doctor found him fully cured. Bro.Peregrine served the congregation and looked after the sick people living at the monastery in Forli for many more years until his death in 1345 at the age of 85. He was canonized in 1726 by Pope Benedict XIII. The church at Ratnagiriya, Dummalasuriya is the only church in Sri Lanka dedicated to this miracle worker. It was built 17 years ago on the far end of a big land belonging to a Catholic. Healing Services are being conducted every first Saturday of the month by the Parish Priest of Madampe .(NWP). Numerous miraculous healings of cancer patients are taking place regularly. The annual feast is celebrated on the 1st of May attended by pilgrims from all over the island coming in their thousands. Fr.D.F.Medagoda, The Diocesan Archivist, Chilaw Photo’s by Chamara Senarathne

Madampe: St. Sebastian’s Church

This was a kingdom coming down from the time of King Weera Parakrama Bahu (1484- 1509), king of Kotte. (One of the 4 kingdoms of Sri Lanka at that time) One of his sons Thaniya Wallabha reigned this area residing in this city. (Today the area where his palace stood is called Maliga Kanda (=Palace Hillock), Mahawewa. He committed suicide at the tank of Thinipiti Oya, 2 kilometers north to his palace. There is a very popular shrine built in his memory called Thanivella Devalaya. He is regarded as a god of the area by Buddhists and Hindus.

During the Portuguese occupation, Jesuits came to serve the people in this area. They put up a church dedicated to Our Lady of Assumption in 1602 in close proximity to the Palace. That was the first church of Madampe . It had two other outstation churches, one at Marawila dedicated to St Xavier and the other at Katuneriya dedicated to St Ambrose. Fr. Emmanuel Barandos was the first quasi Parish Priest under Chilaw. The spot where that church stood is now known as Mattakotuwa, Mahawewa . During the Dutch persecution Bl. Joseph Vaz from Goa secretly came to Ceylon and served the Catholics of the area from 1690 giving masses at the churches belonging to Madampe parish.

During the reign of King Sri Vijaya Rajasingha (1745) there was a persecution of Christians led by a Buddhist monk called Welivita Saranankara. Madampe Church (at Mattakotuwa) was razed to the ground and Catholics fled to places of safety.

When the British conquered Ceylon in 1796 they gave religious freedom to all and encouraged the English education. Since the Oratorians of Bl. Joseph Vaz found it too difficult to switch over to English, European priests and Religious had to be invited to serve our educational institutions and churches. Thus in 1845, Madampe Parish was served by Fr. Froliano Orugna, a Spaniard Cistercian . In 1894 Madampe was separated from Chilaw. By this time Mattakotuwa had their own church closer to the sea.

In the mean time Madampe had shifted to the North of the Dutch canal and there was a very prominent Mudlier of Chilaw, Mr. A. Don Adrian Jayawardana , ( ancestor of Mr. J.R. Jayawardana, the late President) a big land owner residing there from 1808. He has donated a piece of land to the Madampe Parish. So they put upa new church on that bloc of land and dedicated it to St Sebastian on the 04th of February, 1883.

This church celebrated its 125th jubilee last year on a very grand way under the guidance of Rev. Fr. Kennedy Fernando the incumbent Parish Priest. Incidentally, he hails from Mattakotuwa, known as Madampe in good old days . I think it is a nice coincidence.

Fr.D.F.Medagoda, The Diocesan Archivist, Chilaw. 12.04.2009

Photo’s by Chamara Senarathne

Madampe: St. Sebastian’s Church

This was a kingdom coming down from the time of King Weera Parakrama Bahu (1484- 1509), king of Kotte. (One of the 4 kingdoms of Sri Lanka at that time) One of his sons Thaniya Wallabha reigned this area residing in this city. (Today the area where his palace stood is called Maliga Kanda (=Palace Hillock), Mahawewa. He committed suicide at the tank of Thinipiti Oya, 2 kilometers north to his palace. There is a very popular shrine built in his memory called Thanivella Devalaya. He is regarded as a god of the area by Buddhists and Hindus.

During the Portuguese occupation, Jesuits came to serve the people in this area. They put up a church dedicated to Our Lady of Assumption in 1602 in close proximity to the Palace. That was the first church of Madampe . It had two other outstation churches, one at Marawila dedicated to St Xavier and the other at Katuneriya dedicated to St Ambrose. Fr. Emmanuel Barandos was the first quasi Parish Priest under Chilaw. The spot where that church stood is now known as Mattakotuwa, Mahawewa . During the Dutch persecution Bl. Joseph Vaz from Goa secretly came to Ceylon and served the Catholics of the area from 1690 giving masses at the churches belonging to Madampe parish.

During the reign of King Sri Vijaya Rajasingha (1745) there was a persecution of Christians led by a Buddhist monk called Welivita Saranankara. Madampe Church (at Mattakotuwa) was razed to the ground and Catholics fled to places of safety.

When the British conquered Ceylon in 1796 they gave religious freedom to all and encouraged the English education. Since the Oratorians of Bl. Joseph Vaz found it too difficult to switch over to English, European priests and Religious had to be invited to serve our educational institutions and churches. Thus in 1845, Madampe Parish was served by Fr. Froliano Orugna, a Spaniard Cistercian . In 1894 Madampe was separated from Chilaw. By this time Mattakotuwa had their own church closer to the sea.

In the mean time Madampe had shifted to the North of the Dutch canal and there was a very prominent Mudlier of Chilaw, Mr. A. Don Adrian Jayawardana , ( ancestor of Mr. J.R. Jayawardana, the late President) a big land owner residing there from 1808. He has donated a piece of land to the Madampe Parish. So they put upa new church on that bloc of land and dedicated it to St Sebastian on the 04th of February, 1883.

This church celebrated its 125th jubilee last year on a very grand way under the guidance of Rev. Fr. Kennedy Fernando the incumbent Parish Priest. Incidentally, he hails from Mattakotuwa, known as Madampe in good old days . I think it is a nice coincidence.

Fr.D.F.Medagoda, The Diocesan Archivist, Chilaw. 12.04.2009

Photo’s by Chamara Senarathne

Madampe: St. Sebastian’s Church

This was a kingdom coming down from the time of King Weera Parakrama Bahu (1484- 1509), king of Kotte. (One of the 4 kingdoms of Sri Lanka at that time) One of his sons Thaniya Wallabha reigned this area residing in this city. (Today the area where his palace stood is called Maliga Kanda (=Palace Hillock), Mahawewa. He committed suicide at the tank of Thinipiti Oya, 2 kilometers north to his palace. There is a very popular shrine built in his memory called Thanivella Devalaya. He is regarded as a god of the area by Buddhists and Hindus.

During the Portuguese occupation, Jesuits came to serve the people in this area. They put up a church dedicated to Our Lady of Assumption in 1602 in close proximity to the Palace. That was the first church of Madampe . It had two other outstation churches, one at Marawila dedicated to St Xavier and the other at Katuneriya dedicated to St Ambrose. Fr. Emmanuel Barandos was the first quasi Parish Priest under Chilaw. The spot where that church stood is now known as Mattakotuwa, Mahawewa . During the Dutch persecution Bl. Joseph Vaz from Goa secretly came to Ceylon and served the Catholics of the area from 1690 giving masses at the churches belonging to Madampe parish.

During the reign of King Sri Vijaya Rajasingha (1745) there was a persecution of Christians led by a Buddhist monk called Welivita Saranankara. Madampe Church (at Mattakotuwa) was razed to the ground and Catholics fled to places of safety.

When the British conquered Ceylon in 1796 they gave religious freedom to all and encouraged the English education. Since the Oratorians of Bl. Joseph Vaz found it too difficult to switch over to English, European priests and Religious had to be invited to serve our educational institutions and churches. Thus in 1845, Madampe Parish was served by Fr. Froliano Orugna, a Spaniard Cistercian . In 1894 Madampe was separated from Chilaw. By this time Mattakotuwa had their own church closer to the sea.

In the mean time Madampe had shifted to the North of the Dutch canal and there was a very prominent Mudlier of Chilaw, Mr. A. Don Adrian Jayawardana , ( ancestor of Mr. J.R. Jayawardana, the late President) a big land owner residing there from 1808. He has donated a piece of land to the Madampe Parish. So they put upa new church on that bloc of land and dedicated it to St Sebastian on the 04th of February, 1883.

This church celebrated its 125th jubilee last year on a very grand way under the guidance of Rev. Fr. Kennedy Fernando the incumbent Parish Priest. Incidentally, he hails from Mattakotuwa, known as Madampe in good old days . I think it is a nice coincidence.

Fr.D.F.Medagoda, The Diocesan Archivist, Chilaw. 12.04.2009

Photo’s by Chamara Senarathne

St.Peregrine Laziosi, Patron of People with cancer.

This is a 13th century saint from Forli, a town 80 km. North East of Florence in Italy. He was a Servite Brother. He had an ulcerous wound on his left leg. It had to be amputated if his life was to be saved. It was a matter of life and death. The night before the operation Brother Peregrine dragged himself to the chapel and prayed to Jesus hanging on the cross. He had fallen asleep there and had dreamt that Jesus had touched his wound and in the morning his doctor found him fully cured.

Bro.Peregrine served the congregation and looked after the sick people living at the monastery in Forli for many more years until his death in 1345 at the age of 85. He was canonized in 1726 by Pope Benedict XIII.

The church at Ratnagiriya, Dummalasuriya is the only church in Sri Lanka dedicated to this miracle worker. It was built 17 years ago on the far end of a big land belonging to a Catholic. Healing Services are being conducted every first Saturday of the month by the Parish Priest of Madampe .(NWP). Numerous miraculous healings of cancer patients are taking place regularly. The annual feast is celebrated on the 1st of May attended by pilgrims from all over the island coming in their thousands.

Fr.D.F.Medagoda, The Diocesan Archivist, Chilaw Photo’s by Chamara Senarathne

Tarana : St. Anthony’s Church

The Community was started with 35 Catholic families. Two Fernando brothers, Martin and Felix from Wennappuwa have donated 2 acres of coconut land to the Bishop of Chilaw in 1949 during the time of Rev.Fr. J. F. Gunawardana. The donors also put up a temporary church and the new parish priest of Madampe Fr.Joe Quintus Perera said the first mass next year in honour of St.Anthony . It served as a school also during the school days until the schools take-over The temporary church cought fire in 1983 and was replaced by a permanent structure completed in 1984.

Now there are 135 families spread in 4 villages, Tarana, Mugunuwatawana, Suduwella and Dummalasuriya belonging to this church. This church belongs to Madampe Parish.

Fr.D.F.Medagoda, The Diocesan Archivist, Chilaw 12.04.2009

Photo’s by Chamara Senarathne

Friends

  • loading Loading…

 

C Senarathne's groups