David Sankey
Best photos All photos
390
photos
324
on Google Maps
views

David Sankey's conversations

This is the famous police station that features in Ripper Street TV series . It is not a functioning (ordinary) police station but is the incognito home of the firearms command of the Metropolitan Police"SCO19

This building collapsed during demolition of an internal wall as part of a reurbishment - more than 20 people were inside. By a miracle - there were no fatalities - HSE prosecuted and Citytex were fined £10,000 http://www.hse.gov.uk/press/2010/coi-ldn-0101.htm

..on end of Mount Terrace - with hospital incinerator chimney

Sugar Bakers were sugar refioners - often done as a small-scale or home-industry by German immigrants in the past, cruelly exploited in a form of "modern-day slavery" -- the yard is now a lightwell between buildings with white-glazed brick to reflect light into lower stories. The Gherkin was built following a major IRA bomb destroyed buildings in St Mary Axe, including the Baltic Exchange

"My great grandfather was shipped from the Battle of Kandahar to Grove Hall described as insane. It is likely that he was suffering from shellshock or PTSD. He never recovered and died in 1883. Despite being married, the census for 1881 shows him as being single so he was probably unaware that he had a family, and they didn't bother to check. He was described as having 'general paralysis'. I have desperately searched for any further information, but like you have drawn a blank. " https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/soc.genealogy.britain/X0G9E6xXAtk

The darkness of enclosed space means that this poor tree's leaves stay light green and bright with backlit sun... The present church of St Katharine Cree was built in 1628-31 when the older church was pulled down apart from its tower of c.1504. Creechurch, abbreviated from Christchurch, referred to the Priory of Holy Trinity, Christ Church in Aldgate, founded in 1108. St Katharine's served inhabitants of the priory precinct before it became a separate parish church in 1414. According to church records of 1565 the churchyard was occasionally the venue for performance of morality plays by groups of travelling actors. Its current layout as a garden dates from 1965; the C17th gateway to the churchyard was installed with a wall fountain, and a plaque records it as the Fitch Garden, 'dedicated to those who work in this City and to the memory of James Fitch 1762-1818'. Fitch had opened a cheesemongers shop near here in 1784, a family firm still existing as Fitch Lovell Ltd when the garden was opened in 1965. http://www.londongardensonline.org.uk/gardens-online-record.asp?ID=COL077

The present church of St Katharine Cree was built in 1628-31 when the older church was pulled down apart from its tower of c.1504. Creechurch, abbreviated from Christchurch, referred to the Priory of Holy Trinity, Christ Church in Aldgate, founded in 1108. St Katharine's served inhabitants of the priory precinct before it became a separate parish church in 1414. According to church records of 1565 the churchyard was occasionally the venue for performance of morality plays by groups of travelling actors. Its current layout as a garden dates from 1965; the C17th gateway to the churchyard was installed with a wall fountain, and a plaque records it as the Fitch Garden, 'dedicated to those who work in this City and to the memory of James Fitch 1762-1818'. Fitch had opened a cheesemongers shop near here in 1784, a family firm still existing as Fitch Lovell Ltd when the garden was opened in 1965. http://www.londongardensonline.org.uk/gardens-online-record.asp?ID=COL077

The present church of St Katharine Cree was built in 1628-31 when the older church was pulled down apart from its tower of c.1504. Creechurch, abbreviated from Christchurch, referred to the Priory of Holy Trinity, Christ Church in Aldgate, founded in 1108. St Katharine's served inhabitants of the priory precinct before it became a separate parish church in 1414. According to church records of 1565 the churchyard was occasionally the venue for performance of morality plays by groups of travelling actors. Its current layout as a garden dates from 1965; the C17th gateway to the churchyard was installed with a wall fountain, and a plaque records it as the Fitch Garden, 'dedicated to those who work in this City and to the memory of James Fitch 1762-1818'. Fitch had opened a cheesemongers shop near here in 1784, a family firm still existing as Fitch Lovell Ltd when the garden was opened in 1965. http://www.londongardensonline.org.uk/gardens-online-record.asp?ID=COL077

The present church of St Katharine Cree was built in 1628-31 when the older church was pulled down apart from its tower of c.1504. Creechurch, abbreviated from Christchurch, referred to the Priory of Holy Trinity, Christ Church in Aldgate, founded in 1108. St Katharine's served inhabitants of the priory precinct before it became a separate parish church in 1414. According to church records of 1565 the churchyard was occasionally the venue for performance of morality plays by groups of travelling actors. Its current layout as a garden dates from 1965; the C17th gateway to the churchyard was installed with a wall fountain, and a plaque records it as the Fitch Garden, 'dedicated to those who work in this City and to the memory of James Fitch 1762-1818'. Fitch had opened a cheesemongers shop near here in 1784, a family firm still existing as Fitch Lovell Ltd when the garden was opened in 1965. http://www.londongardensonline.org.uk/gardens-online-record.asp?ID=COL077

The present church of St Katharine Cree was built in 1628-31 when the older church was pulled down apart from its tower of c.1504. Creechurch, abbreviated from Christchurch, referred to the Priory of Holy Trinity, Christ Church in Aldgate, founded in 1108. St Katharine's served inhabitants of the priory precinct before it became a separate parish church in 1414. According to church records of 1565 the churchyard was occasionally the venue for performance of morality plays by groups of travelling actors. Its current layout as a garden dates from 1965; the C17th gateway to the churchyard was installed with a wall fountain, and a plaque records it as the Fitch Garden, 'dedicated to those who work in this City and to the memory of James Fitch 1762-1818'. Fitch had opened a cheesemongers shop near here in 1784, a family firm still existing as Fitch Lovell Ltd when the garden was opened in 1965. http://www.londongardensonline.org.uk/gardens-online-record.asp?ID=COL077

« Previous123456Next »

Friends

  • loading Loading…

 

David Sankey's groups