For a photo explaining the geology of this formation, go to http://www.panoramio.com/photo/36006297
For more information about the history of the Round Top Cement Mill and to see a photo of it when it was operating, go to http://www.panoramio.com/photo/36006264
This was taken from the bridge on Zeigler Road which crosses Sideling Hill Creek. The small black object in the foreground is the fisherman's dog, halfway obscured by a shelf in the stream.
Beaver damage is found all along the western part of the Potomac River. The animals are shy and not too frequently seen, but can be occasionally surprised when doing their thing. This tree, being a maple, was probably pretty tasty to a hungry beaver in the spring.
Primitive cement kilns, used between about 1840 and 1903,are visible in panoramio at http://www.panoramio.com/photo/6330711. However thes older kilns made natural cement, not portland cement. Natural cement was made before the process to make portland cement was discovered. Natural cement wasn't as strong or weatherproof as portland cement. However, natural cement from those kilns remains in the structure of the US Capital, and the Washington Monument.
this photo, dating from about 1900, was taken from the West Va. side of the river. The C&O canal passed between the buildings in the foreground and buildings in the background. The cement kilns are in the shed high on the upper right. The sign from which this picture was taken is located along the C&O Canal towpath.
These are remains of cement kilns operated by the Round Top Cement Company, from about 1850 to 1906. Natural, not portland, cement was made here by firing local high calcium limestone until the CO2 was driven off, then the resulting CaO was ground into a powder and shipped in barrels on the canal.
Little Pool is nearly a mile long. Reportedly, it has good fishing.
Unfortunately, someone has moved this photo from the location it was taken from, and has located it over a generalized location of what can be seen from the Sideling Hill Visitor Center. The Sideling Hill Visitor Center is about three miles WNW of the current location of the photo. The photo itself is an extreme telephoto shot of the south end of Tuscarora Mountain, profiled against the sky. The south end of Tuscarora Mountain is in PA, about seven miles NE of Hancock, MD.