This is a view from the top of the observation tower at the top of Spruce Knob, Monongahela National Forest, WV.
This streamlet is visible along the footpath to the observation platform surrounding Balanced Rock, in Trough Creek State Park, PA 16657.
This chimney is about all that remains of a firebrick plant from the 1840's. Three sisters, granddaughters of Charles Carroll of Carrollton, signer of the Declaration of Independence for Maryland, owned this property and many square miles to the north and west. Their holdings formed the core of Green Ridge State Forest to the northwest. Though Americans, they all married English nobility, and thence forward lived in England. They were trying to develop the land for induatrial purposes, but the firebrick plant was the only successful part of their venture. The letters ES are visible at the top of the chimney, but the brickmason formed the "S" poorly. The letters stand for Elizabeth Stafford, one of the three sisters.
This is almost certainly the remains of a sand-processing facility where the local sandstone was ground down to extract the sand for industrial purposes, such as making glass. It appears to date to the first half of the 20th century. It is right beside the CSX (formerly the B&O) mainline.
In the early 50's, the PA turnpike tunnels were one lane in each direction through a single tunnel. They were a terror to this 9 year old. This appears to be one of those tunnels.
Not far away are the ruins of the former Round Top Cement Co., visible in another shot about 1/2 mile away in Panoramio, along the edge of the Potomac River. This cement plant processed local natural cement rock, into natural, not portland cement. The miners of the cement rock used to enlarge local caves to get at the best grade of cement rock. This is probably one of those cave-mines. This cement plant ceased operations about 1906, due to the loss of market for natural cement.
This is a small boaters view of the bottom side of the US 522 bridge which crosses the Potomac River, just southwest of Hancock, Maryland. Since the water flow is from left to right, it is looking north into Maryland.
This is a nice shot of the mouth of Sideling Hill Creek, where it empties into the Potomac River. The greenery in the distance is West Virginia, but the creek in the foreground is in Maryland.
This is a storage bin for sand, previously operated by the Berkeley Sand Company, eventually probably absorbed into U.S. Silica. The local sandstone is nearly pure sand, making profitable the extraction of sand by grinding the sandstone. There were a number of sand msnufacturing companies in the early 20th century in this area.