Thanks. We ate there in 2001 during a narrowboating trip on the Llangollen Canal, but my notes from the trip did not mention the name.
Thanks. This high alpine meadow is near the top of Cuchara Pass in the Spanish Peaks area of southeastern Colorado, USA. The route that Highway 12 follows over Cuchara Pass was once an old Indian trail, used as early as 1779. In 1865,Henry Daigre hired Hiram Vasquez to construct a wagon road to Stonewall. In 1883, it became a mail route, connecting the several little post offices in Las Animas County to the Cuchara Valley, La Veta, and points beyond.
St. Alkmund’s, named for Alcmund of Derby, was founded in 912. This church was built of white stone, giving the name to the town. In 1296, the first rector was instituted. In 1403 following his death at the Battle of Shrewsbury, Sir Henry Percy (Hotspur) was temporarily buried in the church. On 31 July 1711, the central tower of the medieval church, which dated from the 15th century, collapsed and the church had to be completely rebuilt. The foundation stone was laid on 27 March 1712 and the present church was consecrated on 8 October 1712.
The Anglican parish church of St Michael and All Angels stands on a low rise overlooking Marbury Big Mere. The present red sandstone building dates from the 15th century and is in the perpendicular gothic style. The church is subject to subsidence, with the tower being 25 inches off the vertical in 1999. The interior contains an octagonal wooden pulpit, which is contemporary with the present church; it is the oldest surviving wooden pulpit in Cheshire.
Canalside pub with extensive outside dining.
The West Arms is located in the foothills of the Berwyn Mountains in the small village of Llanarmon Dyffryn-Ceiriog. The inn occupies a historic building that has offered hospitality since 1570, originally as a drovers inn.
Carlton House Terraces are two terraces of white stucco-faced houses on the south side of the street overlooking St. James's Park. These terraces were built in 1827–32 to designs by John Nash. Each terrace consists of nine large houses. They are unusual among expensive London terraced houses in that they do not have a mews to the rear. Nash wanted the houses to make the best possible use of the view of the park, and also to present an attractive facade to the park. The service accommodation was placed in two storys of basements (rather than the usual one) and underneath broad terraces between the houses and the park.
The Star Inn is a 300 year old inn located in the village of Sulgrave, England.
Valle Crucis Abbey was founded in 1201 by Madog ap Gruffydd Maelor on the site of a temporary wooden church and was the last Cistercian monastery to be built in Wales. Madog was buried in the completed abbey upon his death in 1236. His heraldic slab was excavated from the site in 1956.
The Reader’s House, just to the east of the St. Laurence church, is this rather splendid stone and timber house. Parts of the building date back to the 13th century although the carved half-timbered three storey porch was added in 1616. The house was used as a grammar school in the 15th century, was once owned by the Palmers Guild and was used by the important officers of the Council of the Marches. In the 18th century it became the home of the Reader.