These harbours were portable temporary harbours developed by British in World War II to facilitate the rapid unloading of cargo during the Normandy landings. Two prefabricated or artificial military harbours were taken in sections across the English Channel with the invading army and assembled off the Normandy coast as part of the D-Day landings. Mulberry "A" was assembled off Omaha Beach and Mulberry "B" off Gold Beach. These remain as a sort of monument although getting rid of them would prove to be a helluva task!!!
Gold Beach was the code name for one of the five D-Day landing beaches that the Allied Forces used to invade German-occupied France in June 1944. This lay in the area assigned to the 50th (Northumbrian) Division and the 8th Armoured Brigade. This bunker gave the Allies all sorts of trouble before being taken out.
This memorial is dedicated to the crew of the destroyer La Combattante of the Free French Navy. This ship transferred General de Gaulle on June 14th from England to France.
This tank, nicknamed the "Donald Duck" tank, was an amphibious swimming tank developed by the British during the Second World War. The phrase is mostly used for the Duplex Drive variant of the M4 Sherman medium tank that was used by the Western Allies during and after the D-Day landings in 1944. The tank worked by erecting a flotation screen around the tank which enabled it to float and had a propeller powered by the tank's engine to drive them in the water! The DD tanks were one of the many specialised assault vehicles, collectively known as Hobart's Funnies devised to support the planned invasion of Europe. And very definitely not a lot of people know this one!!!
This was one of the five beaches of the Allied invasion of German-occupied France in the Normandy landings on 6th June 1944. Sword beach we visited last year, and this year Juno & Gold were on the list. Taking Juno was the responsibility of the 3rd Canadian Division and commandos of the Royal Marines all under the command of British I Corps with support from Naval Force J. The beach was defended by two battalions of the German 716th Infantry Division. Needless to say the Germans were eventually decimated.
See previous comments.
Pleneuf Val Andre is a commune in the Cotes-d'Armor department of Brittany in North Western France.
A delightfully picturesque harbour in the Pleneuf Val Andre locality.
Like the crested tit this is a passerine bird also a member of the Paridae family.