The Sherman Grizzly tank was the most widely used Allied tank during the Second World War and 49,000 were produced. Although not equal to the best German tanks in armour or armament the Sherman made up for this with its straightforward design, mechanical reliability and above all its availability in large numbers. This particular Sherman was one of only 188 built by the Montreal Locomotive Works in Canada and the Canadians called their version the "Grizzly". The museum purchased this tank in 1983 it being one of fifteen recovered from a scrapyard in Portugal having been in service with the Portuguese army. not in the Second World War of course as they didn't get involved!!!
Southsea Castle is one of Henry VIIIs device forts also known as Henrician Castles. Built in 1544 on the waterfront on the southern end of Portsea Island (an area that later became Southsea, named after the castle), it was built to guard the eastern entrance of the Solent and the entrance to Portsmouth Harbour. Henry VIII apparently watched the English flagship Mary Rose sink from this location in 1545 in the Battle of the Solent with the dastardly French invasion fleet. See previous pics for the full story of this castle. In 1828 the lighhthouse was constructed on the western gun platform.
A statue of the naval hero looking out to sea in Grand Parade, Portsmouth.
This tower was built in 1494 as part fortifications and as a home for the Governor of Portamouth. In 1584 it was converted into a gunpowder store the governor moving to the Garrison Church. In 1779 it was converted into a Royal Navy meat store until 1850. It was manned during World Wars and purchased by Portsmouth City Council in 1958-1960. It is now a popular wedding and function venue.
This sculpture recalls the sailing of the First Fleet of settlers from Spithead to Botany Bay, Australia, on 13th May 1787. The Fleet was led by Captain Arthur Philip RN. The statue was unveiled by the Queen on 11th July 1980. A twin monument was unveiled at Circular Quay, Sydney, in 1980 as part of the Bicentenary Celebrations
Portsmouth has always been a major port for the Royal Navy and for those travelling to foreign climes and this Emigrant statue is of a family about to embark to start a new life in America. The artwork was presented to the City of Portsmouth by the Pioneer Heritage Foundation in 2001.
This canal links the two cities of Nantes and Brest through inland Brittany. It was built during the 19th century and its total length is 385 km with 238 locks coast to coast.
This abbey is situated at the western end of Lac de Guerledan overlooking the Nantes-Brest canal. Ths 12th century Cistercian abbey hosts regular exhibitions, a weekly farmers' market and a spectacular 'son et lumiere' in August. The abbey was founded by Viscount Alain III de Rohan who, according to legend, was asked to build it by the Virgin Mary. She appeared to him in a dream when he fell asleep on this spot after a hard day's hunting in the Quenecan Forest, hence the name Bon Repos meaning a Good Rest. Not a lot of people know that!!! The abbey had a tumultuous history including being burnt down by the Chouans (Royalists) in 1795, and the abbey fell into ruin before being rescued in 1986 by the local community who founded the Association of Friends of Bon Repos Abbey. Thanks to them part of the abbey has been restored although the main body is an empty shell.
The two pleasure boats, the Duc de Guerledan 1 and 2, which ply their trade on the lake.