See previous photo.
This is a red sandstone castle in Shrewsbury. It stands on a hill in a neck of the meander of the River Severn. It was built as a defensive fortification for the town. In 1138 King Stephen successfully besieged the castle held by William Fitzalan for the Empress Maud during the period known as The Anarchy. Little of the original structure remains. It is currently owned by Shropshire Council and managed by Shropshire Museums. Since 1985 it has housed the Shropshire Regimental Museum with artefacts from the Kings Shropshire Light Infantry. It contains the collections of the 53rd, the 85th, the KSLI to 1968, the local Militia, Rifle Volunteers and Territorials as well as those of other county regiments, the Shropshire Yeomanry, the Shropshire Artillery Volunteers and the Shropshire Royal Horse Artillery. the museum was attacked by those heroes of the IRA in 1992 resulting in it being closed for three years. Another "soft" target for these scumbags.
This is an Elizabethan building situated in the town centre of Shrewsbury. Built in 1596 the property is now owned by Shropshire Council. It is a scheduled monument. The top room of the hall was used as the magistrates court until 1995 and the lower part of the structure has been used for many purposes including during WW2 an air raid shelter. The statue of a man in armour over the main arch is thought to be that of the Duke of York.
Robert Clive, 1st Baron Clive, was a British Officer who established the military and political supremacy of the East India Company in Bengal. He is credited with securing India and the wealth that followed for the British Crown. He was one of the key early figures in the creation of British India. So we now know who to thank when our country is finally swamped with immigrants!!!
See previous. A view from the meadow taking care to avoid the many cow pats!!!
A building has been on this site since the 11th century and it has been home from this time to the Croft family and Croft baronets. The present building originated as a castle in the 14th century and has been much altered since. It now consists of a stone quadrangular manor house with a small castellated round tower at each corner and a small square tower flanking the north side giving it an impressive appearance in my opinion. The castle is under the care of the National Trust and members of the Croft family still live within it.
This 13th century church lies next to Croft Castle a fortified Manor House, the home of the Croft family and Croft baronets. In the church is the tomb of Sir Richard Croft(1430-1509) high official to four monarchs.
The war memorial dedicated to the fallen of Stokesay during the two World Wars.
Stokesay is an historic hamlet in Shropshire and this church stands right next to Stokesay Castle.
See previous comments.