The Smuggler's cottage, dating from the 15th century, is situated at Tolverne on the eastern side of the River Tal. During WWII the Cottage was requisitioned and the road and beach built as an embarkation point for the D Day Normandy landings. The cottage serves as a tearoom although a restaurant has now been built nearby.
Apparently a newish arrival in the cove is this RORO (roll on, roll off) passenger ship, the Norman Trader. At 180m long it must have been quite a feat getting it in place. The cove is famous for "mothballed" ships and this is the biggest at the moment.
One castle to its sister castle!
Another view of the harbour this time from Pendennis Castle.
A view from the top of Pendennis Castle. The St Anthony Head lighthouse is situated on the eastern side of the entrance to the vast waterway that is Falmouth harbour, which is also known as Carrick Roads, in Cornwall. Built in 1835 by Olver of Falmouth for Trinity House, the original light came from eight Argand oil lamps. The light source was changed to pressure vapour and later to electricity when electricity was connected in 1954. Today the light is automated, the light flashing every 15 seconds with a red sector for the Manacles rocks and a range of 22 miles. The fog horn blasts once every 30 seconds.
A view across the estuary from the top of Pendennis Castle.
The former Garrison Artillery Barracks, now houses a tearoom among other things.