The Coypu is also known as the river rat. It is a large herbivorous semiaquatic rodent and the only member of the family Myocastoridae and not a lot of people know that for sure! Originally native to subtropical and temperate South America it has since been introduced to North America, Europe, Asia and Africa primarily by fur ranchers. Although it is still valued for its fur in some regions its destructive feeding and burrowing still makes this invasive species a pest throughout most of its range. Coypus live in burrows close to stretches of water and feed on river plants and waste 90% of the plant material while feeding on the stems.
A view of Lac de Guerledan not far from my brother's abode out there in Caurel.
Clarence Pier is an amusement pier in Portsmouth situated next to the Portsmouth Hovercraft terminal. Unlike most piers in the UK it doesn't extend very far out to sea but instead goes along the coast. And not a lot of people know that!!!
These are situated near the Square Tower at the end of the High Street beside the Sally Port. the Falklands Memorial lists the Royal Navy, Royal Marines, Royal Fleet Auxiliary and the Merchant Navy personnel who lost their lives in the conflict in 1982. The Roanoke Voyages plaque commemorates the second colony sent by Sir Walter Raleigh which sailed on 26th April 1587 and consisted of 91 men, 17 women and nine children and sailed for Virginia now North Carolina. There on Roanoke Island they built the first English village in America calling it "Cittie Raleigh" . This colony, known as Raleigh's Lost Colony, disappeared between 1587 and 1590. This plaque was unveiled on 26th April 1987 the 400th Anniversary of the sailing. The third commemorates the Birth of Australia, the Bicentennial of the First Fleeters 1787-1987 when a fleet of eleven ships under the command of Captain Arthur Phillip RN set sail from Portsmouth's naval anchorage at Spithead on 17th May 1787. On board were the first of those sentenced to transportation to the recently charted coast of New South Wales. Captain Phillip was commissioned to establish a penal colony and to assume the role of Governor. The First Fleet arrived at Sydney Cove on 26th January 1788, the birth of modern Australia and something we never stop reminding them about! All their ancestors were convicts etc!!!
The sculpture recalls the sailing of the First Fleet of settlers from Spithead to Botany Bay, Australia on 13th May 1787. The fleet was led by Captain Arthur Phillip RN. Today it is a reminder of Portsmouth's past links with Australia and is a token of friendship between the two countries. The memorial was unveiled by the Queen on 11th July 1980. A twin monument was unveiled at Circular Quay, Sydney, Australia in 1980 as part of the Bicentenery Celebrations. The memorial was later moved to Loftus Street.
The Round Tower is a fortification at the entrance to Portsmouth Harbour. The site was originally occupied by a wooden tower before being replaced by a stone one.
This tower was built in 1494 as part fortification and as home to the Governor of Portsmouth. In 1584 it was converted into a gunpowder store the governor moving residence next to the Royal Garrison Church. At the time of the royalist surrender of Portsmouth at the end of the Siege of Portsmouth during the English Civil War 1200 barrels of gunpowder were stored in the tower. The Royalists were able to use the threat of detonating the gunpowder as a bargaining chip during the negotiations leading up to the surrender. In 1779 it was converted into a Royal Navy meat store until 1850 when this function was moved to Gosport. The tower was manned during World Wars and was purchased by Portsmouth City Council 1958-1960. The tower is now used for functions such as weddings, christenings and funerals and hosts regular tea rooms and markets.
See previous re the Royal Garrison Church. Horatio Nelson, 1st Viscount Nelson KB, (29th September 1758 - 21st October 1805), was a British flag officer famous for his service in the Royal Navy particularly in the Napoleonic Wars. He was noted for his inspirational leadership and superb grasp of strategy and unconventional tactics which resulted in a number of decisive naval victories. He was wounded a number of times in combat losing one arm in an unsuccessful attempt to conquer Santa Cruz de Tenerife and the sight in one eye in Corsica. Of his several victories the best known and most notable was the Battle of Trafalgar in 1805 when he was shot and killed by a French sniper. His body was brought back to England and he was accorded a state funeral. His death at Trafalgar secured his position as one of Britain's most heroic figures and numerous monuments, including Nelson's Column in Trafalgar Square, have been created in his memory.
The Spinnaker is a 170 foot landmark tower in Portsmouth and was opened on 18th October 2005. It reflects Portsmouth's maritime history by its being modelled after a sail. The Royal Garrison Church was constructed about 1212 as part of a hospital complex. Although the nave was damaged in a 1941 fire-bomb raid on Portsmouth the chancel remains roofed and furnished.
Field Marshall Law Montgomery, 1st Viscount Montgomery of Alamein, KG GCB DSO PC, (17th November 1887 - 24th March 1976), nicknamed "Monty", was a British Army officer. He saw action in the First World War and was seriously wounded. In the Second World War he commanded the Eighth Army from August 1942 in the Western Desert until the final Allied victory in Tunisia. This command included the Battle of El Alamein the turning point in the Western Desert Campaign. He then commanded the Eighth Army in Sicily and Italy before being given responsibility for planning the D-Day invasion in Normandy. He was in command of all Allied ground forces during Operation Overlord until after the Battle of Normandy. He then continued in command of the 21st Army Group for the rest of the campaign in North West Europe. On 4th May 1945 he took the German surrender at Luneburg Heath in northern Germany. After the war he became Commander-in-Chief of the British Army of the Rhine (BAOR) in Germany and then Chief of the Imperial Staff.