There is also a fine survivor from former times in the shape of a 'Poor Loft' which is now blocked off. This area was not for poor people - quite the opposite. People occupying these pews in the 19th century paid a 'pew rent' which was a way of raising money for the Parish Poor Fund. Poor people had to stand in the body of the church.
A local story has it that in the 19th century the church beadle allowed an illicit still to be kept in the space under the pulpit!
There is a cholera stone in the churchyard which dates from the cholera epidemic of 1832. The story goes that an elder of the church saw a cloud of vapour hovering above the ground in the churchyard. Believing it to be a cloud of cholera, he threw a blanket or cloth over it and placed the large stone on top to keep it from escaping.
Although this stone is inscribed St Michael’s Well it is not over the well.
The northern boundary of Dornoch in Northern Scotland is at a point called St Michael’s Well but this boundary stone does not mark the true boundary.
The stone was put in this position, a short distance north of the well, in 1832 by one George Gunn who was land factor to the Duke of Sutherland. Gunn had an ulterior motive for his action because a new law declared that only those living within 7 miles of the Burgh boundary could vote in the local elections. Unfortunately George’s home was at Rhives near Golspie just outside the 7 miles limit, so he had the stone hewn, inscribed and erected within the 7 miles and thus he retained his right to vote.
This post box was in the wall outside the old post office, High Street, Dornoch and is now preserved at Historyslinks Museum, The Meadows, Dornoch.
Thank you Ray. It is good that these relics are being preserved
Always keep a lookout for the unusual that may not be of general interest to other's but you never know we may convert a few.
Welcome to the Group JTB.
It would be interesting to hear about the war graves at Barmby.
Although I am happy with the brief original story it would be interesting to see what you can come up with.
This coffin shaped house has a story to tell. It is said that a man disapproved of his daughter's impending marriage and said that he would see her in a coffin before he would agree to her proposed marriage. Her suitor bought this house, called it Coffin House and told the father that his wishes could be met. The father was impressed and gave his consent to the marriage.
See web site http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Commando_Memorial
Baby Katherine Booker died at Pitmain Inn in 1815 and was buried in the parish churchyard at Kingussie. Her stone gravestone, which surrounded the grave, was built to represent a baby’s cot. Unfortunately it is now in poor repair and the former metal railings have been removed.