alberico.com
53
photos
41
on Google Maps
views

alberico.com's conversations

This was the resting place of a B24D Liberator Aircraft also known as "Lady Be Good" that crash landed here on April 4th 1943. It's first discovery was on November 9, 1958 by a British oil exploration team working for British Petroleum (BP). On February 27, 1959, British oil surveyor Gordon Bowerman spotted the wreckage near 26°42′45.7″N 24°01′27″E, 710 km (440 mi) southeast of Soluch, following up the first sighting from the air on May 16, 1958, by the crew of a Silver City Airways Dakota,[3] and another on June 15. A recovery team made initial trips from Wheelus Air Base to the crash site on May 26, 1959.[4]

Although the plane was broken into two pieces, it was immaculately preserved, with functioning machine guns, a working radio, and some supplies of food and water. A thermos of tea was found to be drinkable. No human remains were found on board the aircraft nor in the surrounding crash site, nor were parachutes found. Evidence aboard the plane indicated that the men had bailed out. Records in the log of navigator Lieutenant Hays, who was on his very first combat mission, ended at Naples.

Incredible formation!

Regards,

Andrey

صور رائعة البوم مميز تحيات م علاء سعيد من ليبيا الحرة like

صور رائعة البوم مميز تحيات م علاء سعيد من ليبيا الحرة like

lots of scrap in the emptyness

E' stao classificato come tale. La foto è stata scattata dal bordo nord verso l'esterno.

« Previous12Next »

Friends

  • loading Loading…

 

alberico.com's groups