One of a small collection of historical buildings moved to a lot in League City
One of a small collection of historical buildings moved to a lot in League City.
On March 16, 1905, five Texas City residents met for worship and Bible study. The Rev. D.L. Griffith assisted them in founding Texas City's First Baptist Church. The Rev. W.C. Ponder served as pastor for the first decade, during which time services were held in private homes. The growing congregation met at different sites until the early 1950s, when it built a sanctuary at this site. During its first 100 years, the congregation endured the 1915 hurricane, the Great Depression and the 1947 Texas City disaster. Through hardships and hard work the church persevered, and today it continues in service to its community through a variety of programs and missions.
You can read the history of this church here
Click Here for History of the Grand Opera House
Lumber, oil, and ranching tycoon James Marion West (1871-1941) and his wife, Jessie Dudley (1871-1953), hired eminent Houston architect Joseph Finger to design this 17,000-square foot house as headquarters for their 30,000-acre ranch. Built in 1929-30, it is an excellent example of the Italian renaissance revival style. It features exceptional ironwork by Berger & Son, classical pediments and arched windows. Subsequent owners include Humble Oil and Rice University.
For several years it served as the home of the Lunar Science Institute -- Click for link
These towers run along a pipeline right-of-way at the back gate of the Johnson Space Center Houston, Texas